A Brief History of St. Gabriel's Church, Aldersbrook

The parish of Aldersbrook came into existence on 16 October 1903 when the Bishop of Barking dedicated a new mission church to serve the new housing estate being built on a triangle of land in what was known, (to the developers anyway), as the Lower Forest area of Wanstead. To the locals it was known as the hamlet of Aldersbrook, named after a brook which still runs in various culverts under the houses and occasionally makes its presence known in their cellars.

Read more...

The William Hill Organ at St Gabriel's Church, Aldersbrook, a Brief History

The present church in Aldersbrook, dedicated to St Gabriel the Archangel, was completed in 1914 replacing an original 'tin mission church' of 1903 which then served as a parish hall for many years. The new church was designed, built and equipped to the very highest specification but it would seem that the money ran out before an organ was commissioned.

Read more...

News feeds